Spring is finally here! My favourite way to celebrate is by changing up my lip colour. This year orange lips (yes orange!) is the trend to try. An orange lip can be intimidating to wear – but it doesn’t have to be. The key is to choose the shade and formula you’re comfortable with.
From glosses, to sheer lipsticks to full out matte formulas you can find the perfect orange pout to rock this spring.
- If full out orange is too intimidating, try a glossy coral colour like L’Oreal’s Extraordinaire by Colour Riche in Coral Encore. This is the perfect way to try out a brighter lip colour in an orange hue if you’re usually a neutral kind of girl.
- This deeper orange Perfect Color Lipstick by ARTDECO (#59) has a pearly finish and glides on smooth to keep lips moisturized. This would look great on naturally bronzed skin tones.
- If matte is your thing try out The Body Shop’s Colour Crush Lipstick on Coral Cutie. Again, a more toned down colour than true orange but will still give you the impact you’re looking for.
- For a true orange and full coverage lipstick I recommend another one from ARTDECO – High Performance Lipstick (#435). You’ll have heads turning with this one!
- Glosses are usually less bold than lipsticks but Shu Uemura’s Tint In Gelato (#03) is the exception! This gorgeous and highly pigmented product can be used on both lips and cheeks. Apply just one thin layer for a more subtle lip or add layers for a more dramatic look. This product will be available April 2014 at Holt Renfrew Stores.
If you opt to wear an orange lip keep the rest of your makeup in mind. To balance out the look you may want to use bronzer instead of pink toned blush and keep the eyes simple – either very clean with a lot of mascara or line the eyes but keep it very crisp – no smoky eyes.
For the lips themselves I like to line my lips with a lip liner close to my natural lip colour before applying a bold colour like orange. Even with gloss be sure the look is precise. If needed clean up any messes with a cotton swab or clean lip brush.