Contest Winner Announced: Aimee P
Prom night is one of the most anticipated nights of your high school career and one of the only nights in your life where you get to dress up like a celebrity, while dancing the night away with friends. The big night is coming up quick and if you’re one of the many celebrating, you’re probably in the final stages of preparation, so the last thing you want to worry about is what you’re wearing or how you’ll do your hair and make-up.
This year, we’ve teamed up with Yorkdale Mall to help make your prom the most memorable and stress-free as possible! Yorkdale’s Marketing Director, Lucia Connor, came up with a few great tips for when it comes to shopping for prom:
- Don’t mix business with pleasure. Do all the outfit research you need with your BFFs, but when it comes time to make the prom purchase, if your parents are involved, leave the BFFs at home.
“This is a very emotionally-charged event. Prom-goers feel a lot of pressure to look perfect and parents are dealing with their own set of emotions around prom shopping from seeing their kids in mature outfits to financial pressures.”
- Finding the right outfit isn’t a sprint. It’s a marathon. There are three deciding factors to keep in mind when picking a prom outfit – fit, fabulous and affordability – and it’s helpful to try on a range of dresses before you can make a decision. Prom shoppers need to invest the time in researching the best looks and then finding the trifecta of ‘FFA’.
“Eyeballing outfits won’t serve you well when you are ready to buy. It takes trial and error to get a signature look just right. If mom and dad are involved in the final purchase, you want to have a clear idea about the dress you have in mind.”
- Accessories are phase II. Take time to celebrate and recharge once you’ve made the big purchase. Handbags and accessories can and should be tackled down the road.
“Have a coffee, go for lunch, bond with whomever was there for the big purchase and enjoy the fact that you’ve solved the most important part of prom. The emotional and financial pressure around prom lies in finding the perfect outfit. Once the dress is chosen, the shoes, accessories and hair come next.”
Ask the store associate for advice on what compliments THE dress – do you need a statement necklace or should you focus on earings and rings? Once you have your dress at home try it on and take some pics – with your hair up or down and bring it to your hair stylist for advice. You should speak to them at the time you make your appointment – which should be well in advance of your prom date.
In addition to the tips, we’re giving one lucky prom-goer the opportunity to win a $50 Yorkdale Mall gift certificate and a 30-minute consultation with a Yorkdale stylist! All you have to do to win is enter in the widget below!
Terms & Conditions:
- All entrants MUST be students or mothers of students attending prom this year (2015) and live in the GTA or surrounding areas
- Entrants that DO NOT use both methods of entry will be disqualified
- Contest ends on Monday, May. 11, 2015 at 11:59 pm EST
- The winner will be contacted and announced on Tuesday, May. 12, 2015
- Only entrants who log their entries through Rafflecopter will be considered