Target will open nine more Canadian stores in 2014. These will be in addition to the 124 Canadian Target locations that opened in 2013, tentatively bringing the total number of Canadian Target stores to 133 by the end of this year.
Five of the nine Target stores will locate in former Zellers store locations. The other four will be newly-built stores.
Here is a breakdown of the new Canadian Target locations for 2014:
- The Stockyards, Toronto, Ontario
- Kingsway Mall, Edmonton, Alberta
- Hillside Centre, Victoria, British Columbia
- Erin Mills Town Centre, Mississauga, Ontario
- Park Place, Barrie, Ontario
- Carrefour Candiac, Candiac, Quebec
- St. Laurent, Ottawa, Ontario
- Sheridan Centre, Mississauga, Ontario
- Polo Park, Winnipeg, Manitoba
On Target’s Canadian expansion, company president Tony Fisher stated: “The past year marked a major milestone for Target and we delivered on the unprecedented goal of opening 124 Target stores across 10 provinces in 2013. As we head into 2014, we will continue to enhance the guest experience at all stores while continuing to expand our presence in new Canadian neighbourhoods.”
Each of these new Target stores will employ about 150 workers, which is the average number of workers for its existing stores.
Gregg Steinhafel, chairman, president and CEO of Target, says that the company expects its Canadian operations to generate “$6 billion or more in sales” and 80 cents in earnings per share by 2017.