1. Getting to be the parent of dozens of adults, who forget to hang and fold clothes once inside a mall.
Excuse me, Ma’am… That’s actually not where it goes…
2. Standing on your feet for 8 to 10-hour shifts until every last pair of shoes you own is ruined.
But when you get to sit down, it feels like HEAVEN!
3. Or you get home from work and this happens…
4. The double-edged sword of an employee discount – spending all your money at the store you work at!
5. Standing around the jean wall, supervising any customer who dares take a mid-pile pair off the shelf.
6. Wishing that, just once, you could scream at a customer “WE ARE CLOSED!”
No, you cannot try on 129083210983219 items 5-minutes before we close. #SorryNotSorry
7. When a shopper asks you to ‘check the backroom’ for something
And you have to dig through mountains of clothing to find it or pretend like you’re looking because you know it’s not there
8. When you actually/finally find the item you checked the back room for…
And the shopper no longer wants the item or has already left the store. #SMDH
9. When you’re having a bad day, but you’ve gotta put on a happy face
10. Working every single weekend…
Or getting booked to work holidays.
11. Spending your break waiting in long lines…
And having to eat your lunch like this:
12. When customers ask for a discount or better price
But you can’t do anything. You are literally just a minimum wage person working there – you can’t make those kinds of decisions!
13. When shoppers ask your opinion about something
But you really don’t give f*ck.
14. When a customer comes in and goes on and on about their life
You work in retail, you’re not a therapist.
15. Not being able to text your friends during work
But on the bright side, you’ve gotten really good at texting with one hand and texting with your phone under a table, in a shelf, or under a pile of clothes.
16. Spending what feels like forever tidying your section
Only to have your manager tell you it’s not good enough
17. If you work in commission, fighting everyone else for sales
It’s every man for themselves.