When it comes to fashion, only a handful of trends stay afloat from season to season. I like to think of nautical stripes as the Madonna of fashion – perenially cool, always relevant, with nary a major screw-up. This year’s nautical finds are (kinda like Madge) a little bit knotty, a little bit nice, esp. in the accessory dept. with wild chains, glitter, neon ropes, and oversized clamps guaranteed to float your boat.
As for the Breton striped shirt, you can never go wrong with a legendary Saint James (spun in Normandy by the French purveyor since 1850, and worn by everyone from Pablo Picasso to Coco Chanel). If your budget (or your conscience) can’t navigate the splurge quite yet, I’ve found a comparable version (point your eyes north, maties…or up, whatever…) for 1/3 of the price at StyleMint that looks and feels mega-yacht luxe. Scared of the horizontal stripe? Just remember: the smaller the stripe, the more slimming the effect. As for fit, keep pieces relaxed, not tight.
Now go ahead, go overboard. I dare you…;)
Nautical by Numbers:
1. Broadway T, $29.99, StyleMint
2. Shorts, $24, Joe Fresh
3. ursuitment Espadrilles, $98, Anthropologie
4. Striped Underwire, $100, J. Crew
5. Marine Cardigan, $39, Joe Fresh
6. Women’s Bahama Boat Shoes, $75, Sperry Topsider
7. Pleated Mini in Awning Stripe, $104.99, J.Crew
8.Nutcase Fashion Rope Necklace, $47, Etsy
9. Hey, Sailor! Suntints SPF 20 Liquid Lip Balm, $19, MAC Cosmetics