In an effort to work on inclusivity and to promote diversity, OMNI Television will be bringing Toronto Blue Jays baseball to the Filipino Community.
Going forward, Sunday broadcasts of the Toronto Blue Jays game on OMNI Television will be presented in Tagalog!
In partnership with Sportsnet on August 5th, OMNI television has already broadcasted one game in the new format and featured well-known Filipino sportscaster Mara Aquino as host, Charles de Torres as the play-by-play announcer, and Mike Cruz as the colour commentator.
The new program is titled Toronto Blue Jays: Pinoy Edition and is another great effort by OMNI to bring Canadian culture to multilingual ethnic viewers. The decision to go forward with the new Pinoy Edition of the Blue Jays broadcasts comes from the successful Punjabi edition of Hockey Night in Canada.
There are seven more games scheduled to air in Tagalog:
- Sun, Aug 19: Toronto @ New York Yankees (1 pm ET / 10 am PT)
- Sun, Aug 26: Philadelphia Phillies @ Toronto (1 pm ET / 10 am PT)
- Sun, Sep 2: Toronto @ Miami Marlins (1 pm ET / 10 am PT)
- Sun, Sep 9: Cleveland Indians @ Toronto (1 pm ET / 10 am PT)
- Sun, Sep 16: Toronto @ New York Yankees (1 pm ET / 10 am PT)
- Sun, Sep 23: Tampa Bay Rays @ Toronto (1 pm ET / 10 am PT)
- Sun, Sep 30: Toronto @ Tampa Bay Rays (3 pm ET / 12 pm PT)
If the broadcasts are successful you can expect these broadcasts to roll over into next year.