There’s a New Streaming Service in Toronto That Has 30,000 Movies and It’s Free
If you love movie streaming services like Netflix, CraveTV and Amazon prime, you may be happy to hear that there is a new video streaming service in town, and it’s completely free. All you need to get started is a library card.
The Toronto Public Library has just launched a new platform called Kanopy, which allows users to stream thousands of feature films, documentaries, international films and training videos for free. TPL has just added over 30,000 new videos to their collection.
Here’s how it works:
- You can access Kanopy films with your smartphone, tablet, PC or Smart TV
- Kanopy is compatible with Roku, Android, iOS and Apple TV
- You have three days to watch each film
- You can access up to eight films a month
- All films are fully accessible, with captions and transcripts, and are compatible with screen reader software such as JAWS
To get more information, check out TPL’s Getting Started Guide
You’d think a bunch of free movies from the library might be dated and out of touch, but according to the TPL the selection of films is “outstanding” and includes titles from award-winning directors, highly-acclaimed documentaries and top content from public broadcasters like PBS.
This is another solid service from Toronto Public Library as one of our favourite best-kept secrets is the fact that you can also download any E-book or audiobook you want for your listening pleasure for free through the OverDrive App.