Our days of summer weather are numbered. If you haven’t yet celebrated the season with a picnic, the time is now to schedule in a trip to one of Toronto’s many picnic-ready parks for an alfresco meal. The key to a memorable (in a good way) picnic? Delicious, easy-to-eat fare. Don’t leave your provisions to the last minute. Plan ahead. Here’s where to go to stock your basket for an idyllic late-summer picnic in the city.
Here’s where to stock up on quality picnic foods in Toronto.
Since 2008, Mabel’s Bakery has been known and loved for its homespun baked goods. With a variety of seasonal artisan breads, cookies, bars, and prepared food options, this bakery and takeout counter was built for picnics. Head to one of their four locations across the city to stock up before you hit the park.
- Multiple locations in Toronto
Browsing the offerings at Eataly is an event in itself. Work up an appetite as you peruse the many market vendors and assemble your own antipasti of meats, cheeses, olives, bread and olive oils, and dolci. Or, grab take-out from one of the authentic Italian restaurants here and expedite the process.
- Location: 55 Bloor St West, Toronto
- Phone number: (437) 374 0250
- Store hours: Sunday to Thursday 8 a.m.-10 p.m.; Friday to Saturday 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Get a taste of Paris with Daniel Et Daniel’s prepared foods, including quiches, salads, paninis, and soups, prepared daily and on-site. Pair your picnic with some authentic French pastries and desserts, like pain au chocolat, macarons, or an award-winning cake slice.
- Location: 244 to 248 Carlton St, Toronto
- Phone number: (416) 968 9275
- Store hours: Monday to Saturday 9-6 p.m.; Sunday 9-5 p.m.
This gourmet cheese boutique in east Chinatown offers much more than just cheese. They’re well-prepared for picnic-goers, with grocery items including tinned meats, fresh cheeses (including plant-based options), artisanal crackers and preserves, chocolates, and craft seltzers. Put together your own picnic basket, or order a ready-made charcuterie board. Orders made before 10 a.m. can be picked up that day.
- Location: 614 Gerrard St East, Toronto
- Phone number: (416) 285 8482
- Store hours: Monday to Sunday 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
One of Toronto’s favourite (and longest standing) bakeries, Harbord Bakery is best known for its challah bread, but there’s much more to love, here. Their selection of savoury take-out options, including sandwiches, Mediterranean entrees, vegetarian and meat empanadas, and of course, sweets like tarts and cupcakes, make Harbord Bakery a one-stop shop for a picnic
- Location: 115 Harbord St, Toronto
- Phone number: (416) 922 5767
- Store hours: Monday to Thursday 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday to Saturday 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday CLOSED
This culinary destination in Little Italy offers patrons the opportunity to cook, eat and shop under one roof. Pencil in a cooking class, or just stock up for your picnic with this selection of lovingly prepared meals, baked goods, and a curated collection of hand-picked pantry items for snacking.
- Location: 587 College St, Toronto, ON
- Phone number: (416) 920 5559
- Store hours: Monday to Friday 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
Articles You May Also Be Interested In
6 Restaurants To Order Healthy Take-Out From In Toronto
Peaceful Outdoor Places To Meditate Outside In Toronto
15 Beautiful Waterfalls To Explore Near Toronto
15 Covered Patios To Visit In Toronto Whether It’s Rain Or Shine
20 Of The Best Beaches To Visit This Summer In & Near Toronto
15 Of The Best Campgrounds That Are Less Than 4 Hours From Toronto
10 Incredible Events To Check Out In Toronto This Summer