Style Spotlight: Tina Dao of simplyteee
Our next Style Spotlight has beauty, brains, style… and a massive Instagram following of over 17,000 people.
Allow us to introduce you to Tina Dao.
You may recognize her from her blog or social accounts, simplyteee. What started as a passion project became an admiral second career, amassing Tina a band of loyal followers, drawn in by her unique, yet accessible style and carefully curated photos.
We had the opportunity to catch up with Tina Dao to find out a little bit more about the woman behind simplyteee. Check out our interview below.
Tell us a little about you and what you do.
I work full-time as a Client Engagement Specialist at RL Solutions, a healthcare software company downtown Toronto. Outside of that, you’ll find me bingeing on Netflix, blogging, stuffing my face with food or all of the above. I created simplyteee a year ago as a creative fashion outlet, but it’s turned into a second full-time job. My blogging journey has allowed me to partner with so many of my favourite brands (even ones I only dreamt of collaborating with,) and meet so many like-minded individuals all in pursuit of the same goals.
Define your style in three words.
Comfy, casual, feminine.
What are some of your own style ‘rules’ that you like to live by?
It’s a bit of a cliche, but the main rule I live by is, ‘comfort over everything’. No matter what I’m doing, whether it’s going to work, a wedding, the gym or the airport, I want to be comfortable so I only buy pieces I know I’ll wear over and over again. Yes, that means you’ll never find me walking out in a pair of high-heeled pumps or stilettos (unless it’s padded with marshmallows).
Spill the beans. Looking back, what were some trends you wish you hadn’t worn (a.k.a. Your style regrets)?
1) Cinching a big belt at the waist when wearing cardigans or dresses
2) Flare jeans (can’t pull them off)
3) Sweaters with the brand’s logo plastered all over the front.
What’s an item in your closet that you can’t live without?
My beanie! It’s perfect for those bad or lazy hair days, and pairs well with every single outfit.
You’re running late. What’s your go-to outfit?
A long knit cardigan layered over a basic tank, paired with distressed denim and black booties (my daily uniform).
What are your three favourite places to shop in the city? If you have any local favourites, feel free to give them some love!
I’m going to sound pretty basic here, but my 3 go-to stores are Aritzia, Topshop and Club Monaco. I’m petite, so it’s difficult for me to find pieces that are tailored to my body type. When I come across a store I love, I tend to stick with it.
What is the best piece you ever got on sale?
It wasn’t one piece, but rather a collective. I was at Nordstrom Rack last year and walked out with 9 items (mostly dresses) for under $150. The total overall savings on that one purchase was $980!
List the top 5 things about Toronto that you love!
1. The Community – Toronto is a city of over 2.6 million people, but the sense of community among the local creatives gives you reassurance that you’re not alone. I’m surrounded by like-minded individuals with a shared purpose, who are constantly providing me motivation to keep pursuing my goals.
2. The Food – Toronto has an abundance of different types of food from all over the world that you can try. When I get asked, ‘What type of food is Toronto known for?’ I can never give a straight answer because it’s so varied depending on which part of Toronto you visit!
3. The Coffee Shops – There are so many cute cafes in Toronto that you could probably visit a different one every weekend for an entire year.
4. The City – Every corner of Toronto gives you a slightly different perspective of the city. You could walk a block, turn a corner, and the way the city smells, looks, and is perceived changes.
5. The Vibes – There really is no place like home, and Toronto feels like home. I’m semi-well travelled, but I always miss Toronto no matter where I am on the globe.
How can our readers keep up with you online?
You can follow my random shenanigans on Instastory via @simplyteee or catch up on my latest looks at www.simplyteee.com.